Many people seem to have a bit of a confusion in figuring out how to wash amigurumi? So I thought I’d explain it with this tutorial so that I can refer to it again whenever people send me an email asking for help in the future.
Washing tips for your Amigurumi
What you will need
Washbasin, bathtub or bucket
1. Water temperature: your amigurumi should be washed in cold or lukewarm water to avoid felting or pilling.
2. Hand wash: use a mild detergent and use it sparingly. Gently wet it in the solution, do not wring or rub! If you need to remove a stain, blot the wet area, but don’t scrub the pieces of fabric together to remove it.
3. Rinse: with cold water until all the foam has disappeared.
4. Drying process: dry it flat on a towel. You should do this after squeezing excess water out of your amigurumi by gently pressing it instead of twisting it.
Do not hang it as it will stretch and avoid leaving the piece in direct sunlight so it does not fade the color. Make sure you change your towels while drying!
You may need to let it dry for 24 hours or more.
5. Reshape: if after washing it is deformed, wait for it to dry before reshaping so that the thread does not stretch. A light squeezing can get your amigurumi back into shape or give it a whole new look!
Hope these tips help you when you need to wash your amigurumi.